Wednesday, April 16, 2008

filming heart-shaped cookies under the cover of night


So I'm listening to She's lost control by Joy division here on my Deezer playlist and got to thinking about the best movie I've seen this year (haven't seen that many tbh). Control, the very personal story of Joy Division's frontman Ian Curtis. It's a touching movie and is beautifully filmed in black and white. It's the kind of experience that I get caught up in, and the film's final image of smoke rising out of a chimney will probably forever be etched on my mind.

While thinking of that I found this ^ image of Sam Riley, who plays Curtis in the movie, it made me think of Kaneda from Akira. Which reminded me to let you know they are planning a live action version of Katshuhiro Otomo's Akira manga. Dunno what I think about that, after all, when Pioneer got the rights to Akira88 they ruined it for me by redubbing the audio. I'll say it again, they mayhaps made the dialog a bit more sensical, but they took away all the wonderful poetic natureness of the originally translation.

This led me to think of the second best movie I've seen this year (and by this year, let me clarify that I am refering to my time in deadmonton, ie. sept 2007 to now), also animated, Tekkonkinkreet.

Fourth place runner up of movies* I've seen here would probably go to The assasination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford. It's a slow burning, gorgeous movie. (plus it features a third act appearance by the always lovely Zooey Deschanel)


*Third place: No country for old men, but enough said on that.

No comments: