Thursday, March 6, 2008

the sincerest form of flattery

Interesting story here regarding inspiration vs. theft. To sum it up quickly, a guy with the same last name as a famous illustrator, is making his name by imitating the illustrator's style, albeit poorly, right down to signing his pieces in with almost the exact same signiature. The signiature thing, to me, pushes this well past imitation or influence and into the realm of forgery. But enough has been said on this issue in the link.

What I was thinking after reading the article and the subsequent replies to it relates to my own feeling as an "artist" of how fine the line is between imitation and influence. I think that many folks are unaware of this, or not concerned by it at all. I would say that you can't really afford to be a curator and a creator, one is going to overwhelm the other. This sort of thinking is often discouraging to me, and I believe it is both invalid and irrelevant, a painting isn't a pure bred pooch, or a master's thesis, there is no need to provide a pedigree, nor parenthetical references...

to expand:

Classical training

Sampling

Redefinition

Ideas

Conception

Passion -> Release, Enjoyment

Peace

No comments: