Monday, February 4, 2008

valentine's day: a preemptive strike


I'm a sucker, tagged a romantic, I miss valentine's day. An excuse to celebrate one's better half, maybe comment on a specific memory or two. Hallmark sells a bunch of stuff. Kids pass notes in school.

That was always stressful, you may recall elementary school and how kids would get a 20 pack of valentines, I choo choo choose you etc... Classes always numbered more than 20. I don't remember ever giving any, I imagine it would have been tough for some kids to decide who got one. Abberations in behavior would prove a point. 'I don't talk to you but I put your name on this and want you to have it' vs. 'I do talk to you but had too many names for my cards, you didn't make the list'. I do recall people with too many cards for names giving extra cards to you, to give one back to them. How cute. I didn't like it at all, 'why didn't sarah give me a card? or tanya?'.

I wonder what my parents are going to do for valentine's, they've been married a lot of years. Was there any great valentine's that they shared?

So why strike? Well, plain fact is I'm not going to feel lonely this time, this time I'm not going to even pay attention, I'm saving myself.

No comments: